Sunday, January 3, 2010

Writing Workshops (written 1/2/10)

Writing Workshops


If you ever asked me
how I think my writing is going,

I would tell you that I enjoy
creating juxtapositions and metaphors,

to connect with the audience through
universal themes and characterization.

And I love losing myself
in a world of delicious fiction,

the antagonist a pure creation
of my alter ego,

the protagonist a resemblance
of Every Man.

I would add that I have broken away
from a prison of templates and forms,

where I’d been held captive,
helpless to escape to these fantasy flights.

And yet I continue to peek into
the closets of other poets,

for a reminder of my own Lost World,
where I used to unite with unicorns.

In fact – if I’m to be completely honest with you–
this poem would not have been written,

had it not been for Billy Collins
and his poem the “Drawing Class.”

2 comments:

ashleyg said...

Hi Shelly-
I don't know you, but I'm a friend of Jeremy's- the creator of "My Theme Park View."
I loved reading your posts- you write beautifully!
I'm excited to read more!
I just thought you should know :)
have a great day!

Shelly S said...

Hi there! And thank you so much! :) Always nice to meet those who read this blog.