Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring Rejuvenation

There's something about spring that make me feel lighter. Not lighter in the sense that I can shed my responsibilities and frolic in a field of flowers, but lighter in that I have a renewed energy and that unstoppable "I can do anything" mindset that was more common in my early 20s.

I'm embracing this newfound Lighter Me and we're traveling to unknown places together. Lighter Me coerced me into signing up for my first dance class - a class called Zumba. It's one incredible workout, but, wow - dance is not my calling. I knew this, of course; I was essentially kicked out of ballet class when I was five. My limbs move independent from my core, and it's not an attractive sight. But I don't care. Lighter Me makes it easier to laugh at myself, to enjoy being completely out of my element in this eight-week experience.

Lighter Me also showed me the impact that Yoga can have on my mind and body. I attended a Gentle Yoga class with Robin last weekend in West Palm Beach, and a hour and 15 minutes later I was hooked. I've been desperately searching for a studio near my house that offers introductory or beginner's classes. It seems the typical yoga practitioner does not have a 9-5 job, because most classes are offered during that time. I hope to find something that fits my schedule soon.

Lighter Me wants me to eat more organic food, to learn to cook (healthier), to forgive quicker, to be slower to anger, and to do one thing every day that is just for me. In my ideal life, Lighter Me becomes a close friend, and I can't determine where I end and she begins. My normal routine becomes infused with new experiences and daily challenges. I stop wasting time and start writing, scrapbooking, and creating. I dance to an offbeat rhythm and never look back.

2 comments:

Jane B. said...

I can think of no better comment than "Namaste" - the god/goddess in me salutes the god/goddess in you. Happy spring my friend!

*Robin* said...

Well said my friend. Send your Light-ness out into the world!!