Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Places, New Faces

And I'm back. It's been a busy past few weeks, but I'm back.

I took off on an extended weekend vacation with Robin to her hometown of West Chester, PA, though we crashed at her parents' house in Deptford, NJ. It's always interesting and thought-provoking to visit the place where a person grew up.

I experienced the small wonder of "Wawa" a local mini-mart that featured the most delicious veggie sandwich and soft pretzels. I met the cutest three-year old child, who affectionately referred to me as "JellyFish." I ate at the "Pita Pit" at 2am with Robin and her long-time friend, Jason. I attended my first bridal shower, in which one of the entertainment items was a psychic reader (I was promised a long, happy future, but warned never to visit Miami). I basked in the warm sun and cool breeze on the Jersey Shore. And I witnessed too many freakish devices in the adult-themed stores on South Street in Philadelphia.

It was a wonderful trip. I've written about her before, but I don't think I will truly ever be able to express how blessed I am to have Robin as a friend, or "sister," as we have deemed one another. I witnessed first-hand some of the more difficult aspects of her family's life, and while I remained a silent observer for the majority of the weekend, I was also silently amazed and inspired by how much Robin has been through in her short 26 years. She pushes through the adversity with a cute, school-girl's giggle and a cheerful smile. Behind closed doors, she has the emotional intensity of a woman with years of challenges... but in the open, she is an innocent firefly, ready to embrace her next adventure.

During the weekend away, my sister told me that she may be making some big changes in her life in the near future. I espressed my most sincere opinions--revolving around her need for new locations and new people--I understand that a change would be in her best interest. I won't hide that I'd be devastated if the big change led her away from Orlando, but I also understand the need for a life makeover. I will probably always be her biggest fan, no matter how many miles come between us.

1 comment:

*Robin* said...

Okay, now I'm crying. I'm glad you had a good time and I love you dearly. Trust me, when it comes time for us to part ways, you won't be left wanting. Lol, aka...I always keep in touch and we'll be in each other's lives for a long time to come...afterall we were brought together for a Reason! :-)