Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I've Been Tagged!

Jane-- my friend, coworker, mentor, confidant, and most recently: quasi-boss-- told me yesterday morning, amidst some work-related banter, that she had "tagged me."

Tagged me? I hadn't heard this phrase before, except on the playground back in elementary school. She said that it was blog-related, and that I needed to check out her blog for the details. I've been an avid follower of her blog for months now, particularly because she writes about art, a subject with which I'm not too familiar, yet her words entice me to buy paint and paintbrushes. And her writing is, essentially, art.

Curious? Stop by her blog for some artsy inspiration: http://sepiaandglitter.blogspot.com/

And now, per the tagging rules, I present:

Six Random Facts About Me

1) I have a silent obsession with unicorns. I had surgery on both my feet when I was growing up, and my parents gave me two stuffed animals for me to hold while I was in the operating room: a pink unicorn and a purple unicorn.

2) As a teenager, I collected construction equipment. While most kids collected items liked baseball cards or Barbie Dolls, I took orange traffic cones from construction sites around my town, labeling each one with the date and the name of the location from which I took it, and stacked the cones in my bedroom. This created an amusing juxtaposition, considering my bedroom had pink baby doll wallpaper until I was in my late teens. However, Dad put an end to my construction equipment collection the evening that I brought home one of the larger orange barrels, the ones with the blinking lights.

3) I have terrible aim with a paintball gun. I've never actually "played" paintball, but I have used a paintball gun. On the side of a busy street. His name was Matt. The gun was loaded with blue paintballs. He told me to pull the trigger. I landed a big blue splatter on the window of a taxi cab, which caused the driver to screech to a halt. He launched out of his cab and proceeded to chase Matt and I through the woods, but he couldn't keep up. Moral of the story? Paintball guns are not toys and I'm thankful that most taxi drivers are out of shape.

4) In elementary school, I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up. Dinosaurs fascinated me; I recall being one of the few kids in my first grade class who could pronounce and spell all the "big" dinosaur names. And I would spend hours in the sandbox, digging for dinosaur bones... but the only thing I ever dug up was cat poop.

5) I went to an extra grade. You've heard of kids skipping grades, right? Nope, not me. I went to an extra grade, a grade between kindergarden and first grade, a grade called "Readiness." I'm pretty sure they don't offer it anymore... probably because now they can just give a kid some medication to calm him down enough to pay attention in class. Readiness was basically for kids who supposedly weren't "ready" for first grade for various reasons, but were too advanced for kindergarden again. There were eight of us special kids in my Readiness class. My reason for needing Readiness? I was "too social" and it "hindered my learning." Too social. Me? Good thing Readiness cured me and I grew out of that. Cough.

6) I love Taco Bell's nacho cheese. If they sold it buy the bucket, I'd be their #1 customer.

Here's the tagging rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

6. Let the tagger know your entry is up.

Now, I'm tagging.....

Lito: http://lito18.blogspot.com/
Noah: http://noahgardner.blogspot.com/
John: http://www.johninorlando.com/
Jen: http://www.pressathought.blogspot.com/
David: http://datsnews.blogspot.com/
Nat: http://dontmakemegetmyflyingmonkeys.blogspot.com/


Happy Tagging!

1 comment:

Jane B. said...

Hilarious! I loved the paintball story, though it's hard for me to picture the always ladylike Shelly shooting a taxi!