Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Staying Happy Forever?

I saw the movie Juno last night. I absolutely loved it. I hadn't heard much about it, only that it's nominated for Best Picture, with a bunch of other films I haven't seen.

(Sidenote: I'm very disappointed in myself for not seeing more movies lately. Even if it means going by myself, I really need to start watching movies again. I recall a point in my past--6 years ago to be exact-- in which I wanted to be a screenwriter...)

Anyway. The film touches upon a love theme, one of which I'm currently contemplating. The following dialogue (courtesy of imdb.com) pretty much sums of the film's essence:

Juno MacGuff: I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno MacGuff: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, like people in love.
Mac MacGuff: Are you having boy troubles? I gotta be honest; I don't much approve of dating in your condition, 'cause well... that's kind of messed up.
Juno MacGuff: Dad, no!
Mac MacGuff: Well, it's kind of skanky. Isn't that what you girls call it? Skanky? Skeevy?
Juno MacGuff: Please stop now.
Mac MacGuff: [persisting] Tore up from the floor up?
Juno MacGuff: Dad, it's not about that. I just need to know if it's possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It's not easy, that's for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I'm proud to say that we're very happy.
[Juno nods]
Mac MacGuff: In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.
Juno MacGuff: I sort of already have.
Mac MacGuff: Well, of course! You're old D-A-D! You know I'll always be there to love and support you no matter what kind of pickle you're in... Obviously [nods to her belly]
Juno MacGuff: I need to go out somewhere just for a little while. I don't have any homework and I swear I'll be back by ten.
Mac MacGuff: You were talking about me right?

I loved the way this film was put together. The writing was brilliant, especially the way in which the witty and sarcastic one-liners provide a perfect balance for the film's emotional undertone. It's a serious comedy, one of the most difficult genres to master.

In other news, I changed it up a bit and went out to play some volleyball tonight (typically, I only join in for scrimmages on Wednesday nights). I played with some different people and was able to bring my skill level up a notch. I broke a sweat tonight, which doesn't usually happen, particularly because it has been so cold at night lately. I have a feeling I'm going to be sore tomorrow, too.

I hadn't cried all day today... until a few hours ago... at the realization that Luke's mom just arrived in Orlando, and he'll be staying with her at one of the Disney resorts for the remainder of the week. I love his mother and I'm really upset that she will no longer be a part of my life. Then I started thinking about the rest of his family... his brother, his sister, his stepfather, his aunts, uncles, and cousins... all such wonderful and loving people who welcomed me into their life like I was going to be part of their family forever. I'm going to miss his grandparents the most. His grandfather would always take my face in his hands and kiss my forehead, smiling the entire time. It's sad, in a way, that I am probably going to miss Luke's family more than I will miss Luke.

For anyone who is going through a breakup or a divorce, I highly suggest you read Mars and Venus: Starting Over. It's a fantastic book that helps readers cope after losing a loved one, in which they're facing the scary concept of "starting over." The book explores the vast scale of emotions experienced after a break-up and how to deal with such emotions so that the pain can be fully healed and a lasting love can be found later on in life.

I have always been skeptical of self-help books, believing that the "experts" simply tell you want you want/need to hear so they can make a buck. While that may be true, I am finding comfort and strength from reading this book. They wrote a book about how to grieve the loss of love, forgive your ex, and move on... and writing a book about something means there's a market for it.... which inevitably means that I am not alone. I cannot express how much comfort this brings me.... because in my current state, when I am alone with my thoughts, I feel like I am the only person in the universe who is in this much pain.

As lonely and as miserable as I'm feeling, I know I'm not the first person to feel this way, and I won't be the last. Heck, I may find someone someday and date, get serious, and break up... and find myself in this same scenario all over again.

But at least next time I will be prepared.

No comments: