Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Birthday Blog

I turned 26 over the weekend.

My birthday snuck up on me this year. I was reminded last week when my mom called to ask what I wanted for my birthday, just like she does every year. As I get older, it just gets cuter that she still gets me a present.


I had planned a dinner celebration at The Ale House with some friends for Friday night, and was pleasantly surprised with how many people were able to make it. A few people showed up whom I hadn't seen in over a year. And my former roommate, Ryan, stopped by to wish me a happy 26 (this amused me, because he was at the same bar on a date).

After Ale House, James, Jolyon, and I ventured to the Celebration Town Tavern with Jeff to meet up with a few of our other friends who couldn't make it to Ale House earlier in the evening. Jeff insisted that I try a $10.00 beer from Belgium, and after my unsuccessful protest (and his debit card), I had a large bottle in my hand, and a glass in the other. When Jeff wasn't looking, I asked James to help me finish it.

On my actual birthday (Sunday), Jolyon and I relaxed at the pool in the apartment complex, and by "relax" I mean that we spent an amusing two hours playing with a giant inflatable turtle that I won during a raffle last week at a work event. While some lucky winners took home free Water Park Tickets and VIP Tours, I took home the plastic, green turtle that had been previously used as a prop in one of our team games. I'm sure I amused the Guests in the parking lot of Pleasure Island (where our all day Team Event was held), as I tried to cram the inflated beast into the backseat of my small, Geo Prism. The stupid thing almost caused me to get into an accident on the way home, since I had successfully blocked my rear view vision.

That evening, Jolyon took me to see Blue Man Group, which was an interesting show. I say "interesting" because it took me a good portion of the show to realize that the short skits performed by these blue-painted men were not interconnected, and the show didn't tell a story or generate any kind of message. Instead, the blue men spat marshmellows at each other, munched on Captain Crunch cereal, and banged loudly on drums. While I enjoyed the show (who doesn't like getting covered in toilet paper?), it's not quite on my 'Must-See in Orlando' list.


1 comment:

Ryan said...

Aww shelly...I was only at the Ale House on a date so that I could wish you a happy birthday! I plan things like that... :-)