Monday, August 25, 2008

One Year Ago

Today is Jolyon's birthday.

This time last year I surprised him before softball practice with balloons and birthday goodies, in which I managed to get several other players involved in the plotting. The cupcakes that Jolyon put in his car afterwards, in hopes of eating them later, melted shortly afterwards, thus opening the floodgates for numerous inside jokes about "cupcake killing" and, later, "you had me at cupcake."

The ever-persistent nostalgic side of me can't help musing about how much has changed in a single year, and how much I have grown as a person because of those changes. A unique confidence and inner peace warms me. I can articulate my needs, wants, and desires. I'm no longer afraid to change my mind or to disappoint others, in order to stay true to my principles.

Jolyon told me a few days ago that I "shouldn't take everything so seriously, even the serious stuff"... one of many teachings my wonderful, glass-half-full boyfriend would like to instill upon the world. I have a similar attitude, too. Most of the time. And I'm thankful for his humor and goofiness that snaps me out of my pessimistic moments.

And I'm thankful for those cupcakes that I brought to softball practice one year ago.

1 comment: