Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Graduate School (and why I'm glad I took five years off after college)

I'm going back to school. That's right. In just over two weeks, I'll be toting my three-ring binders and colored pens (or do kids use laptops these days?) to The University of Central Florida.

To be more specific: I've decided to pursue a master's degree in Instructional Systems Design.

When hearing this, most people have either given me a blank look, or have feigned enthusiasm, as opposed to admitting they have no idea what ISD is (and up until four years ago, I didn't either). Or, they've blurted out an amusing response.

"But... you're a writer, not an engineer." -Friend 1

"So... you'll be learning how to build stuff for computers?" -Friend 2

"Awesome! You can help me decorate my house, if I can ever afford one!" -Friend 3

It's something about the combination of the words "instructional", "systems", and "design" that connote engineering specifications or computer systems. It certainly doesn't sound like a career path a creative writer would take.

This is why I'm thankful for taking five years off after college to get some working experience. As it turns out, one of my natural strengths is process and procedural documentation; I avoided all business and technical writing courses that were part of my college writing track, so who knew? My days of poetry, prose, creative nonfiction, and journalism quickly faded once I started working as a professional technical writer.

Faded but not forgotten. It also turns out that pairing a creative writing skillset with technical writing experience "makes a lethal instructional designer" (according to a random YouTube video I watched a few weeks ago, but can't find now to reference). Taking a logical approach to creating a course and blending it with creativity to engage the learner will have a huge impact. And that's what's most appealing to me -- a career where I can make equal use of my left brain and right brain to connect with people.

Another benefit of taking time off after college: more and more graduate programs are being geared toward adults working full-time and needing flexibility, and online master's programs are becoming increasingly more desirable. With the exception of one of my classes this fall, I'll be able to pursue most of my degree in a completely online format.

So, I'm trading in my volleyball and part of my social life for textbooks and homework. For now, anyway. Eventually I'll strike the balance between my day job, my classes, and all of the fun stuff in between.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Taking time off from school is great :) It makes it better to go back to homework, etc. I'm sure you'll love it :)

Noah G said...

It was funny to see my friends who came to graduate school straight from college just because they had been doing school for so long. They didn't have the knowledge of something else out there in life and that it was ok to work and get a paycheck and the ability to come home after work and just relax. Plus, it was more of a thing to check off the list in life instead of going for something you really wanted. So, I'm glad you found a program that fits your goals and needs!