Saturday, April 12, 2008

New Read

I'm currently reading Elizabeth Gilbert's intriguing novel, Eat, Pray, Love, a creative nonfiction book about a recently divorced novelist who is in the process of re-evaluating her life, ultimately seeking inner peace and happiness. Her quest takes her across Italy, India, and Indonesia.

The book arrived via snail mail a few weeks ago from my cousin, who insisted that I read it, promising that I would take something away from it. I'm only about 30 pages deep into the book (just started it this afternoon), but it has already hooked me and I'm sure it'll be finished before the end of the weekend.

Two passages I have enjoyed thus far:

In reference to the man she involves herself with immediately after leaving her husband:
But, oh, we had such a great time together during those early months when he was still my romantic hero and I was still his living dream. It was excitement and compatibility like I'd never imagined. We invented our own language. We went on daytrips and road trips. We hiked to the top of things, swam to the bottom of other things, planned journeys across the world we would take together. We had more fun waiting in line together at the Department of Motor Vehicles than most couples have on their honeymoods. We gave each other the same nickname, so there would be no separation between us. We made goals, vows, promises, and dinner together. He read books to me, and he did my laundry. (The first time that happened, I called Susan to report the marvel in astonishment, like I'd just seen a camel using a pay phone. I said, "A man just did my laundry! And he even hand-wahed my delicates!" And she repeated: "Oh my God, baby, you are in so much trouble.")

.... Obviously, I'm relating my enjoyment of this passage to personal, recent experiences.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I explained to Iva my personal opinions about prayer. Namely, that I don't feel comfortable petitioning for specific things from God, because that feels to me like a kind of weakness of faith. I don't like asking, 'Will you change this or that thing in my life that's difficult for me?' Because-- who knows?--God might want me to be facing that particular challenge for a reason. Instead, I feel more comfortable praying for the courage to face whatever occurs in my life with equanimity, no matter how things turn out.

.... I, too, pray for strength, but never for God to intervene. We're given Free Will for a reason.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good read so far. I'm sure I'll have more to review as I progress through the book.

3 comments:

Nat said...

I've read this book as well- it's very good!

I have to say I love ya Shelly!!

Your blog is inspirational. I always learn something from your threads..

I kinda just happened upon it- but Thank you.

Love ya.. Rents coming BTW.. I highly want a theatre outing soon!

-Nat

Sarah said...

Hi Shelly,
Thank you for posting your story about your relationship. I enjoyed reading about your experiences since I am at 5.5 years with my own Luke and I am trying to figure out whats next in my life, recently, I am unhappy, mostly due to my life at work. I found myself taking notes from your posts to remind myself to find strength and not to try to accommodate everyone else. Also, I too just started reading Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe we could be book buddies?

Jen said...

I'm so glad that you picked this book up! I read it last fall and it is fantastic. Elizabeth Gilbert's writing is really great at speaking to you. While I was reading, I found the line, "I wanted what the Greeks called kalos kai agathos, the singular balance of the good and the beautiful" and just thought "Bingo, this woman gets it." :)