Monday, April 7, 2008

Sunshine Smiles



I didn't want this past weekend to end. It was amazing. I can't describe it in full, because I almost fear my insufficient words will trivialize it...


Nonetheless, I had a wonderful day at the beach with Jolyon on Saturday. We walked hand-in-hand, along the shoreline. We talked about silly matters and important issues. We ate amazing ice cream, sharing two awesome flavors-- strawberry cheesecake and chocolate peanutbutter cup. We shared inside jokes and teased each other relentlessly. We played in the ocean and in the sand like two children who had just been set free with a day's worth of nothing to do. We were completely free.

"We forgot where we were and we lost track of time
And we sang to the winds as we danced through the night..."


That's how it felt for me. Everything stood still that day. As silly as it may sound, when we embraced in the ocean or on the sand, I didn't care who walked by. I was barely conscious that we were sharing the beach with hundreds of other people; it certainly didn't feel that way. Nothing else matters when I'm with him. I know that's cliche.... I'm just now truly understanding what it means. My friend commented to us the other day that we are "in our own little world." I laughed it off, but then thought about it and realized he was right. And I love it.

The beach is soothing. I am always at peace by the sea. I love that my current home is 45 minutes from the east coast of Florida, and under two hours from the beautiful gulf coast. Being near the ocean is essential for me, whether it's to spend the day splashing in the waves or building sandcastles... or a daytrip to go ocean kayaking. My next adventure will be sailing, and I can't wait. It is something I have always wanted to do, or learn how to do.


To share my favorite place with a very special person intensifies everything. I love the way our minds are on similar tracks, without an effort needed. We're simply rolling along, like the waves of the sea... clear, fresh water and a few rays of sunshine to light our way...

No comments: