Monday, March 24, 2008

I Have The Right To...

The following list is supposedly universal. I have already identified, in my mind, the points that I have trouble accepting as a "right." Which ones would pose an issue for you? No need to answer... but it does make you think.


Personal Bill of Rights

~ I have the right to ask for what I want.

~ I have the right to say no to requests or demands I can't meet.

~ I have the right to express all of my feelings--positive or negative.

~ I have the right to change my mind.

~ I have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.

~ I have the right to follow my own values and standards.

~ I have the right to say no to anything when I feel it is unsafe or it violates my values.

~ I have the right to determine my own priorities.

~ I have the right to not be responsible for others' behaviors, actions, feelings, or problems.

~ I have the right to expect honesty from others.

~ I have the right to be angry with someone I love.

~ I have the right to be uniquely myself.

~ I have the right to feel scared and say "I'm afraid."

~ I have the right to say, "I don't know."

~ I have the right not to give excuses or reasons for my behavior.

~ I have the right to make decisions based on my feelings.

~ I have the right to my own needs for personal space and time.

~ I have the right to be playful and frivolous.

~ I have the right to be healthier than those around me.

~ I have the right to be in a non-abusive environment.

~ I have the right to make friends and be comfortable around people.

~ I have the right to change and grow.

~ I have the right to have my needs and wants respected by others.

~ I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.

~ I have the right to be happy.

No comments: