Saturday, March 22, 2008

Parental Support


What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories. ~George Eliot

Depicted above is a photo of Dawn (my stepmother), myself, and my dad, which was taken this weekend during an overnight at my grandparents' house in The Villages. My thoughts are tainted due to some sleeping pills, but I wanted to post this photo and say a few words before I drift off to sleep.

I love my family. I had an amazing in-depth conversation with my parents yesterday afternoon, while we were touring around Celebration. I completely opened up to them in ways that I had never been able to before. I told them aspects of my recent past that I have been hiding from most of the world. They didn't judge me, scold me, or ask why. They simply listened and gave me advice, sharing stories of their pasts, as well. I learned more about my parents yesterday than I probably ever wanted to know, but it's comforting to realize and understand that my complications and revelations are normal. My father's opinion is extremely important to me, and to hear him tell me exactly what I wanted and needed to hear was simply elevating.

As we get older, and our lives essentially more complicated and 'real', we often forget that our parents have probably experienced more than we think. They are an incredible resource whom we often overlook. We seek counseling from friends and professionals before we even consider talking to our parents, especially when it comes to typically taboo topics such as sex and relationships. Why do we do this? Do we fear being judged? Are we afraid that we're going to disappoint them? Are we simply just too embarassed to admit the truth of our lives to our own flesh and blood?

Our parents bring us into this world; they introduce us to love, companionship, and happiness. They provide us with the foundation needed to live a fruitful life. They nurture us to the best of their ability before releasing us into the world in which we will inevitably make mistakes. They cannot prepare us for everything that life entails, but they create the mold for us to fill. Parents have the difficult choice of letting their children make mistakes on their own, or butting in to offer advice based on their own experiences. They wrestle within themselves the distinctions between teaching, guiding, and dictating.

Confide in your parents. They are the link to your past, the serenity of your present, and the foundation for your future.

The informality of family life is a blessed condition that allows us to become our best while looking our worst. ~Marge Kennedy

2 comments:

*Robin* said...

Thanks for letting me be a part of your family. I learned a lot too and your grandfolks are the cutest!!

Ryan said...

Well said.....I agree 100%! My parents have been more involved with my relationships recently and it feels so good to be able to talk to them about it....